Requirements and Eligibility
- Registered as an active student at home university.
- Have a good command of the English Language.
- Have a good health condition.
- Have a grade point average of 3.0 or higher.
- Be physically present at home university at the time of application.
- Must agree to enroll at UTM as described in the program plan.
- Must agree to abide by the rules and regulations of UTM or placement provider.
- Should demonstrate empathy and understanding of cultural difference.
- Should demonstrate excellent personal skills.
- Agrees to be responsible for the costs incurred.
- UTM will conduct an interview session if necessary.
- Fill up the online application form – UTM Student Exchange Program Application Form
- UTM International will do application review and clarification.
- UTM International will forward the application to the Host Faculty for their review and approval.( The host faculty have the right to accept or reject the exchange student application)
- The offer letter will be issued out after faculty’s approval.
|Semester I (October – February)
1-31 May 2023
1-30 June 2023
July – August 2023/2024
Nomination deadline ( by home institution )
Issuance of offer letter
|Semester II (March- July)
1-31 October 2023
1-30 November 2023
December – January 2023/2024
Nomination deadline ( by home institution )
Issuance of offer letter
Incoming students are required to browse through the faculty handbook for the list of courses available, which can be obtained from the list of Faculties/ school below.
|Faculty of Chemical & Energy Engineering
|Faculty of Electrical Engineering
|Faculty of Civil Engineering
|Faculty of Mechanical Engineering
|Faculty of Computing
|Faculty of Built Environment & Surveying
|Faculty of Social Sciences & Humanities
|Faculty of Management
|Faculty of Science
|Malaysia-Japan International Institute
|Razak Faculty of Technology and Informatics
|Azman Hashim International Business School (AHIBS)
*Incoming student who will register October, please choose subjects offered in Semester 1 *Incoming student who will register on February, please choose subjects offered in Semester 2 Note : List of courses MUST be chosen from one host faculty only
Incoming student is required to apply for the Single Entry Visa (SEV) at Malaysia Embassy in your home country. In order to obtain the SEV, the incoming student needs to apply for the Visa Approval Letter (VAL) to obtain a Mobility Pass with the duration of study 3 – 12 months from Malaysia Immigration through UTM.
- All International students who wish to study for 3 – 6 months at any educational institution in Malaysia must apply for a Mobility Pass. Visa Approval Letter (VAL) must be applied three (3) months prior the arrival to obtain Mobility Pass upon arrival.
- All students under this category must come under a Mobility Pass and not a tourist or entry visa. UTM International will help students to apply for the mobility pass visa upon arrival. Any information will be updated by email.
- Effective from 1 December 2016, Visa Approval Letter (VAL) for Mobility Pass application is managed by the Education Malaysia Global Services (EMGS) through EMGS STAR System, at https://visa.educationmalaysia.gov.my/ prior of submission to Malaysia Immigration Department. Any payment charged should be made directly to EMGS.
- Once you received the approval letter for your mobility pass, you are required to go to nearby Malaysia Embassy as stated in the visa with reference letter and request for Single Entry Visa.
- All students must come under a mobility pass and not a tourist or entry visa. UTM International will help students to apply for the visa.
- Students need to buy flight ticket only after you receive Visa Approval Letter (VAL) from UTM or our Malaysian Immigration either via email or mail to obtain the mobility pass upon arrival.
- For the duration of study less than 3 months: The students need to ensure that the visit pass duration is able to cover your study duration in Malaysia.
- You are advised to follow Malaysia rules and regulations. Failure to follow the regulations is under your own responsibility. Refer to our Malaysia Immigration Department at https://www.imi.gov.my/index.php/en/.
- Visa Application Procedures[gview file=”https://international.utm.my/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Annex-Guide-VAL-Mobility_010419.pdf”]
The student is COMPULSORY to purchase health insurance which covers personal accident, inpatient treatment, repatriation, death and any other additional terms which necessarily while in Malaysia. Purchasing the insurance:
- For study duration less than 3 months: You are compulsory to purchase a medical/travel insurance from your home country which can cover costs for medical and hospitalization in Malaysia hospital.
- For study duration from 3 – 12 months: All students are required to obtain a valid insurance policy in Malaysia. Students need to obtain insurance policies available which are available upon applying for the mobility pass through EMGS STARS system.
Arrival and Accommodation
Students are required to arrive in UTM 3 days before official orientation program starts. If students arrive during our office hours (Sunday to Wednesday, from 8.00am to 5.00pm and Thursday, from 8.00 am to 3.30 pm). Students are advised to manage your flight ticket and arrive in UTM within office hours. Please go to UTM International for registration information at the following address upon arrival:
UTM International Block S19, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia, 81310 UTM Johor Bahru, Johor, Malaysia Phone : +607-5536844 Fax : +607-5536847 Email : firstname.lastname@example.org Location : 1°33’20.6″N 103°38’36.6″E
Here are some of the facilities offered to international students that you can try. Do communicate directly to the management of the facilities for booking and reservation.
- KLG Campus Residence. A dedicated on-campus international students’ dormitory. The rate for a room may vary by room type. Booking is to be made by students. Students will be placed to any room subject to approval and availability.
Website : https://www.klgresidence.com/
For inquiry and booking : email@example.com
- Scholars Inn. An on-campus accommodation offered for most visitors. The rate for a room may vary by room type. Booking is to be made by students. Students will be placed to any room subject to approval and availability.
Website : https://dvcdev.utm.my/scholars-inn/
- Global Residence. A dedicated (but limited) facilities for mobility students located on-campus. Only single room type is available. Booking is to be made by students. Students will be placed to any room subject to approval and availability.
Website : https://www.facebook.com/globalresidenceutminternational/?locale=ms_MY
The rate for a room may vary by room type. Students can choose their own room subject to approval and availability. Incoming students are also allowed to rent private – off campus accommodation. However, students are required to make their own arrangement on this matter.
Students are expected to be clean, well groomed and dressed in a manner appropriate to the Malaysian custom or norms. Students must maintain a professional appearance by wearing collared shirts/t-shirts, shoes, slacks or long skirts while attending classes and/or on official visits to Faculties/Administration building.
Avoid WEARING INAPPROPRIATE CLOTHING or FOOTWEAR including:-
a) Short skirts or shorts.
b) Round-neck T-shirt.
c) Sleeveless shirts.
d) Tight slacks/pants.
e) Slippers/ sandals.
For male students, hair must be neatly trimmed and reasonable in length, colouring and freestyle hairdo are strictly prohibited.All visible body piercing is prohibited except for female’s pierced ears.
All students are COMPULSORY to fill in our inbound mobility survey form at the link provided below and will entitled for official program certificates from UTM International.
Student is required to submit their passport and documents needed to us for visa cancellation purposes. You are prohibited to go to back to your country without cancelling the student visa/ professional pass. The process must be done at least 21 days before your flight date back to your home country. The documents needed are:
- Original passport https://international.utm.my/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/Personal-Bond-SOP_effective15.09.2019.pdf
- Copy of flight ticket
- Status Letter Verification from faculty
Student may claim their personal bond money after the visa cancellation is done.
- Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) – Personal Bond Claim
- Personal Bond Refund Form
- Authorisation Letter for Refund Claim
* the application must be attached together with a copy of payment slip.