STUDENT EXCHANGE PROGRAM
What is Student Exchange Program?
Student Exchange program is a program which will allow you to spend one or two semesters at universities abroad and take courses in a regular semester with credit transfer opportunity. Students are encouraged to study at universities partners all around the world.
Application Requirements and Eligibility
- Registered as an active student at Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM).
- Must complete at least one-semester study in UTM (one semester) and must NOT be in the last semester of study in UTM. As the first-semester student usually did not have an official transcript, the student is required to provide a supporting letter from the respective faculty.
- Have a grade point average of 3.0 or higher. The student with grade point average lower than 3.0 are required to provide us with a supporting letter/approval letter from the respective faculty.
- Possess a good command of the English Language
- Have a good physical and mental health condition.
- Be physically present in UTM at the time of application.
- Must agree to enroll at the host institution as described in the program plan.
- Must agree to abide by the rules and regulations of the host institution or placement provider.
- Should demonstrate empathy and understanding of cultural differences.
- Should demonstrate excellent personal skills.
- Student has to be responsible for the costs incurred. The students may seek other sources of sponsors including the one provided by UTM to subsidize some expenses including travel, accommodation and insurance.
- UTM Funding is only eligible for the local Malaysian students.
- Discuss with students’ academic advisor/deputy dean (academic)/dean of the faculty regarding academic matters and subjects selection at host university and receive acceptance letter from host university before apply to UTM International
- Inform parents /guardian about participation in study abroad program
- Pay tuition fees at home university (UTM) before depart to host university
- Student who plan to do exchange program to non-partner universities are required to apply at host university by themselves but approval by UTM for going abroad is COMPULSORY. PLEASE COMPLETE AND SUBMIT THE STUDENT APPLICATION FORM IN THE APPLICATION PROCEDURES BELOW (APPLICATION FORM FOR PROGRAM WITH FUNDING) THROUGH EMAIL to firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Form for Student Exchange Program (promoted / not promoted by UTM International)
*THIS APPLICATION FORM IS REQUIRED AS BELOW CONDITIONS:
- TO THOSE WHO APPLY FOR ANY PROGRAM WHICH IS PROMOTED BY UTM INTERNATIONAL
- TO THOSE WHO APPLY TO ANY PROGRAM WHICH IS NOT PROMOTED BY UTM INTERNATIONAL AND INTENT TO APPLY FOR UTM FUND (BASED ON AVAILABILITY). ACCEPTANCE LETTER/ INVITATION FROM HOST IS REQUIRED FOR THIS PURPOSES.
- Fill in the Student Exchange Program Application Form
- Submit the form along with the supporting documents to UTM International before the deadline.
- Deadline for Fall Semester (Sep – Jan) : 30th November OR 4 months before the deadline of the host university
- Deadline for Spring Semester (Feb ~ June): 30th April OR 4 months before the deadline of the host university
- Please make sure that you have completed the entire fields on the application form otherwise we could not process it
- UTM International will do application review and clarification
- If doable, the applicant will be invited to come for the personality test and an interview session
- The number of exchange students for each destination may vary. We will select the top student among the best applicants
- The result will announce through the applicant’s email.
Financial Support from UTM
- Allocation provided based on availability upon application
- UTM fund is ONLY provided for Malaysian
Terms & Conditions:
- There will be no fund for the program which is fully sponsored by host program/ sponsored by host university/ institutions/ sponsored by any research grant which supports mobility program/ sponsored by any funding from other institutions before program approval
- UTM funding is only applicable to the local student. International students who join any type of mobility program either by own expenses/ sponsored by other institution is compulsory to apply for university`s approval letter to join the international program via UTM International.
- This funding is not applicable for Student Exchange Program under AIMS Program (Fully Sponsored by Ministry of Education Malaysia)
List of Consortiums and External Funding Opportunities:
Scholarship Program Name: ASEAN International Mobility for student (AIMS)
Level: Undergraduates – Engineering/ International Business/ Environmental Science field only
Destination: ASEAN Countries (Indonesia, Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam, Philippines, Brunei, Japan, Korea)
Type: Student Exchange (credit transfer is applicable)
Program details: Website
Student Exchange Program Opportunities
Visit our portal to check our promoted outbound program:
The student may also seek to join any student exchange program at UTM partner universities from all over the world as below:
- List of partner universities: https://international.utm.my/international-partnerships/
- UTM OUTBOUND PREDEPARTURE BRIEFING
- Program Report Template / Example of Program Report (1 Program 1 Report)
Need more assistance?
Set your appointment and meet us to get more information:
Sunday to Wednesday : 8.30 am – 12.30 pm
2.30 pm – 4.30 pm
Thursday : 8.30 am – 12.30 pm
Friday /Saturday/ Public Holiday : Closed
Block S19, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia
81310 UTM Johor Bahru, Johor
Email : email@example.com
- Discuss with students’ academic advisor/deputy dean (academic)/dean of the faculty regarding academic matters and subjects selection at the host university and receive the acceptance letter from host university before applying to UTM International office
- Inform parents /guardian about participation in the study abroad/ student exchange program
- Pay tuition fees at home university (UTM) before departing to host university
- The student who plans to do the student exchange program to non-partner universities are required to apply at host university by themselves but the approval from UTM for going abroad is COMPULSORY. Please complete and submit Student Exchange Program Application Form to UTM International