Select Page

FAQ Outbound

What program is available for UTM student to go abroad?

Short Term Program (Consist of Global Outreach Program,International Invitation Program & Summer School) and Long Term Program (Consist of One/Two semester study abroad, Internship Abroad and research attachment)

Who can participate?

To be eligible to participate in the UTM Outbound Program, you will need to meet a number of requirements by the end of the semester in which you apply. Visit Check for Eligibility for further information.

When should I apply?

Application must be made at least 6 months prior program or no later than 3 months prior program

How do I apply?
To submit an application, please complete the following steps:

  • Check your eligibility
  • Choose a host university
  • Budget for your exchange
  • Contact an academic advisor from your faculty to discuss your study plan
  • Create a study plan
  • Complete an application form
  • Submit your study plan and application form by the appropriate deadline to UTM International

Do I need to apply permission for going abroad (kebenaran keluar Negara) at Pejabat HEMA?

Yes. Student must submit application to get permission at Pejabat HEMA after approval from Deputy Vice Chancellor(Academic & International). Approval from DVCAI is through UTM International.

Which host university is right for me?
Choosing a host university is a personal decision that will depend on what you study,and what you wish to get out of the experience.
You may find the following resources helpful as you research your host institution and country:

  • Academic advisers or staff from your faculty
  • Host university websites
  • Past and present exchange students testimonials
  • UTM International’s website
  • UTM International officer

Do I have to speak a foreign language to study in a non-English speaking country?
Not necessarily. Many exchange partners in non-English speaking countries offer courses taught in both English and the native language of that country. Please visit the host university web page to find out if they offer courses in English.

How much does it cost to go on exchange?
While costs will differ depending on where you go, your plans and your spending habits, on average we recommend that students have between RM3000 – RM7000 per semester of exchange. Visit host university website for the estimated cost of living in your host country.

What scholarships are available for students going on exchange?
There are a limited number of scholarships and grants offered by host institutions every year. However, ASEAN International Mobility for Students (AIMS) program’s scholarship available every year to all engineering students who submit their exchange application to AIMS member institutions. Students are required to visit UTM International’s website for information of current offer. UTM offers travel grant for all type of outbound depending on location to maximum amount of RM 10,000 per semester.

Do I have to pay tuition to the host university while I’m on exchange?
While you are on exchange, you will continue to pay tuition fees to UTM. Most partners institution will waived the tuition fee at host university. However, there are some condition where student still need to pay tuition fee to partner university. At this condition,tuition fee at UTM will be exempted. Students are remind to contact PTPTN/scholarship body to inform about their program at university abroad.

What happens if I don’t get into my first preference?

If you do not get into your first preference university we will try to place you in your second or third preference. If you are not nominated for a place in your first preference university, you will need to complete a new study plan and submit it to your faculty once you have been offered a place at a new host university.

What happens if I am not accepted by the host university?

Please note that if you are accepted by UTM International, we will nominate you as an exchange student to the partner university, however the final decision regarding whether you will be accepted rests with the host institution.

What happens if I go for a semester and want to stay longer?

Exchanges can only be for a maximum of two semesters at any one exchange partner. If you originally planned to stay for one semester,but want to stay for an additional semester, you can fill in the application form again and get approval from faculty.

Do I need student visa?
Many countries require students to obtain a student visa or study permit for their exchange period. But, application and cost for student visa is borne by student.

What you need to find out about a student visa or study permit:
1. The type of visa you will need to apply for.
2.Supporting documents required as part of the visa application, for example: host university acceptance letter, proof of accommodation, evidence of sufficient funds for the semester, police check.
3. The cost of your student visa, including the visa itself, the application cost, the cost of obtaining required supporting documents, and travel to embassy  to have the visa issued.

When can I go on exchange?

Applicants must complete at least one semester in UTM and not in a final semester during the program. AIMS applicants must be in second year and above and not in the final semester during the program.
You can study on exchange for 1 or 2 semesters.
Most partner universities operate on a two-semester system with semester dates typically being September to December (Semester 1) and February to May (Semester 2).

Can I study overseas in my last semester of my degree?